Mary BellI know that a lot of people don’t really understand the difference between a “nutritionist” and a dietitian, but there IS a difference and it’s an important one. First, anyone call call themselves a nutritionist. There isn’t a legal definition for the term. If Guy Mezger wants to promote the Blood Type Diet because he read the book and decided he liked it, he can call himself a nutritionist. (I work out at his gym, so I can pick on him) If you want to go take a weekend course on nutrition, you can call yourself a nutritionist. The word means absolutely nothing. In contrast, if a person refers to themselves as a Psychologist, there IS a legal definition for that word and everyone understands it. At a minimum it means that the person went to college and got a degree in that field of study. They took a professional exam that earned them their license, and they have to keep doing educational activities to keep their license every year. For that person to practice psychology in the state of “wherever” they have to be licensed in that state. They also have to carry liability insurance. You get the idea. Well, the same is true for a dietitian. A registered, licensed dietitian has gone to college, has a degree in science, has done thousands of hours of an internship, has taken a national exam, and then has become licensed to practice in a state. To maintain the credentials, many hours of continuing education must be completed over a 5 yr period. It’s a big deal. It’s a big difference.  If you are looking for help with your diet, make sure you are working with a registered dietitian. Your health insurance provider may even provide reimbursement for visits with the dietitian. It would be worth asking about. To find a dietitian in your area, you can go to and click on the “find a dietitian” tab at the top of the page. You can also search your state’s list of licensed dietitians and search by city. Here is the link if you lived in Texas, to give you an example.

So now you should be asking, “Well, what is Rudog?” Great question! Rudog is the name of my nutrition consulting business and website business. I am in fact a registered and licensed dietitian. I have a clinical background (medical and hospital) and I work with athletes and non-athletes. My clinical background gives me the expertise to work with any specific medical condition, like diabetes, kidney disease, high blood pressure, cardiovascular problems, cancer, and so on. This is a great combination because I am able to work with fighters who may start out with no health problems, but develop some later. For example, I am currently working with a young fighter who has started experiencing serious blood sugar issues. He has a family history of this, too. We will be working this week to make sure his diet is appropriate for his blood sugar management and his training load.

The beauty of what I do and how I have my business set up, is that I can work with anyone anywhere in the world. Some people work with me through the Rudog website by paying a small monthly fee of $10. They get education on nutrition and then can email or text me to ask minor questions, etc. If they decide they want to do something more, than they pay for whatever service they need (less a 25% discount) and we “meet” by phone, email, or skype. It’s a great way to get the expertise of a dietitian at a fraction of the cost.  Others work with me by doing individual consults and we actually meet face to face. There’s a little something for everyone 🙂

I have clients all over the world. Many are pro fighters, others are hoping to become fighters.  Ask yourself, are you doing all you can do to reach your MMA goals? Make sure your diet isn’t being overlooked.

Please contact me for more information or if you have questions. You can email, call, or message me directly on FB.

Mary, the Fight Dietitian

972 880 8443

We have temporarily suspended in office visits. All visits will be done using telehealth. Call 972-880-8443 directly to schedule an appointment or you can book online!